Please note we don't recommend particular organisations or individuals, but provide information to help you make your own choice.
If you feel unwell your best starting point is usually your GP (family doctor). GPs are trained to assess, treat and manage many mental health issues within primary care (the community rather than in a hospital). Your GP can refer you to your local community mental health service or elsewhere if needed. or they may be able to manage your illness themselves.
If you need help to find a GP, there are several ways to do this. You can:
▪ Call the national free Healthline service on 0800 611 116
▪ Search Health Navigator's online database for GPs or specialists in your area
▪ See the Healthpages website
▪ See the Health Point website
▪ Use the White Pages book, GPs are listed in the front under Medical Practitioners & Medical Centres
▪ Search the Medical Council of New Zealand's Directory of Registered Doctors
▪ Many Primary Healthcare Organisations (PHOs) can put you in touch with their GP members
▪ Doctor Pricer can help you find a local GP practice that is within your budget.